Patient Stories

Patients come first. Our purpose is to get our therapies into the hands of physicians so that they can make a real difference in the lives of patients. We’re sometimes lucky enough to hear from patients about their treatment experiences. Here are their stories.

Hear Their Stories

  • Thurman’s Story

    I was having pains in my legs from my ankle up. The leg was becoming really dark and I was getting sores and they would take forever to heal. I had a bad vein above and below the knee. It was making my leg really dark at the bottom, I was getting blisters and they were starting to turn to ulcers. I’d been diabetic for 30 years and that didn’t help.

    My legs would hurt when I got up to walk and I had to give up golf as I was in a lot of pain. I had weight loss surgery the year before and had trouble walking but wanted to continue to lose weight so I wanted to have my legs looked at. I wanted to get out and exercise and go play golf, and do work around the house like yard work. Your legs hurt! A lot of people won’t understand but anyone whose had varicose veins will know why. And so, my family doctor recommended I see a specialist.

    Once you do the procedure, you don’t need to lay in bed or stay in hospital. The shot that closes the vein I didn’t think was painful, and I didn’t bruise or bleed. It was wrapped up by the physician and I was told to take it easy for the first week. Me and my wife went to the grocery store and did our shopping.

    I do a lot more walking now and I can walk a lot further, and can get out and mow the grass. I used to push the mower and would have to stop after half of it, do another quarter and stop... and now it takes me 40 minutes to mow the yard instead of an hour and a half. It’s made me feel 100% better. Before they had to strip your veins and you had to be in hospital but now you don’t have to be laid up.

    I have been retired for six years but I’m a pretty busy guy. I’m making these table tops now and I use a riding lawn mower to help my neighbours to do their lawns. I’m a golf ranger one day a week. Monday mornings I play with the senior league and meet different people. It gives me more energy and gets me out more. I also go golfing with my granddaughter who out-plays me sometimes.

  • Haley and Julie’s Story

    After dinner my husband had our one-year-old on the swing and Haley, who was three at the time, was running to the swing set and just mid-stride, she stopped running and shouts, “Ow, ow, ow, ow!” My husband and I thought she stepped on a stick. He went to pick her up, and she’s crying and he looks down and said, “Snake, Snake!” And so, I ran over and saw it all coiled up and it didn’t look that big, but I knew it was a copperhead.

    So, kind of like parents do… we acted calm on the outside and were a hot mess on the inside! My husband reached 9-1-1 and the ambulance was at our house in about 5-10 minutes.

    You could see the two puncture wounds right around her right Achilles, but other than that, she wasn’t crying anymore. We got her car seat out and they strapped it to a gurney in the ambulance, and we have pictures of her like this (thumbs up) because she thought riding in an ambulance was the coolest thing ever.

    At the hospital, they drew blood and continued to monitor her vitals and her swelling, which by this point was half way up her calf. Based on her blood work results and swelling, they told us they were going to start the anti-venom. Within about two hours of getting the antivenom, I could see the swelling going back down her leg.

    By the time we left the hospital the next day, her foot was still swollen, and the bruising was starting to come in, but the swelling that had gone up her leg was basically gone! They told us she couldn’t put any weight on her foot for the next seven days – and we just decided we could carry her for a week. They explained that the toxins from the snake already did damage to the tissues and had to heal before any weight was applied.

    Haley did everything she was told and we kept her little foot elevated and made a make-shift ramp in her bed. She slept with her foot up, spent all day with her foot up and her recovery was pretty exceptional! In fact, she was able to go from not being able to put any pressure on her foot to being able to put her tap shoes on and getting back to her dance class nine days later as if nothing had happened!

  • Alan’s Story

    In November 2015, my GP thought I had an enlarged prostate. I saw a urologist and had an MRI scan which came back negative. I kept on having PSA (Prostate-Specific Antigen) level tests annually and the levels kept going up. I had another MRI that proved positive and a biopsy that indicated a tumour in the middle of my prostate in December 2017.

    When I got my diagnosis, I was just numb as I didn’t really think there was going to be anything wrong. But I was reassured that due to the position of the tumour and because it was at an early stage something could be done.

    The urologist recommended three options. One was to remove the prostate, the second was radiotherapy and the third was to look at some other treatment options. I didn’t fancy the prospect of prostate removal because I didn’t want to be incontinent and I didn’t want months of radiotherapy, so the less evasive methods appealed more.

    After more discussions with the consultant urological surgeon about the position of the tumour, I made the decision to have cryotherapy treatment. I liked the idea that it was a one-off operation and could be repeated if it wasn’t successful at first.

    In spring 2018, I was accompanied by my wife to the hospital on the day of the procedure. We arrived for the appointment at 7AM and by 2PM we were able to go home.

    Three months later I had a check-up to discuss things with the consultant and found that my PSA had gone right down. I didn’t experience any side effects from the procedure. I went for the treatment because it was the least invasive and I could have it because of the position of the tumour. I didn’t need any chemotherapy or radiotherapy which I think is the plus.

These patient stories reflect an individual’s response to treatment. These accounts are genuine, typical and documented. However, these responses do not provide any indication, guide, warranty or guarantee as to the response other people may have to the treatment. Responses to the treatment can and do vary. Please see product pages for full indication and prescribing information for your country